Monday, May 23, 2016

An Eventful Week

It has been an eventful week - following my second chemo treatment I came down with an upper respiratory virus which appeared as sinus / allergy problems but quickly manifested in my lungs causing me to have green mucus and a deep hard cough.  On top of that I had my second major program review that I had to support virtually and less effectively.  It was very difficult to follow or steer the conversation with a major cold and over the phone.  And if that wasn't enough I had two small procedures this week.  First was an MRI guided biopsy in my right breast to remove tissue samples of a small mass found there in the initial MRI.  The radiologist that led the MRI indicated low chance of cancer given how the mass presented itself and the fact it has not responded to chemo like the cancer in the left.  I should have the final results within a week which are important to my decision on type of surgery.  Second I had a port installed just below my right collar bone to facilitate my infusions.  The chemo was basically burning out the veins in my right arm and they could no longer accept the infusions.  And my doctor won't let me take infusions in my left arm due to the tumors.  The port works by placing a small plastic receptacle under my skin connected to a catheter into the major vein leading into the heart.  So basically they plug into the port and dump chemo direct into my heart.  This should be interesting.

Thankfully with the support of my family I was able to rest and recover over the weekend.  Now on amoxicillin for the cold, and even with all the procedures, it was the first time I felt like myself in over two weeks.  Just in time for my next chemo appointment tomorrow haha.  The good news there is that this will put me 75% through AC chemo which is the hardest on your body.  I will have one more AC chemo then be switched to a type called Taxol or T chemo for short.  Taxol is a single drug, not combination like AC, but is administered in a very slow drip IV since people tend to have worse allergic reaction to it but is given with a strong dose of Benadryl.

I am already looking forward to the day I am NED - no evidence detected! Hopefully that's not too far in my future.



4 comments:

  1. Keep up the good fight Suzy!! You are an inspiration. We are sending you strong, healing thoughts. Let us know if you want a vacation to Connecticut :). XOXO: The Kimbles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy!! thanks for sharing the journey, you are absolutely inspiring. Sending you all a big hug from CA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kimbles and Sekhars for the well wishes and positive vibes, keep them up they're working the tumors are shrinking!!! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story. We're all wishing you strength through this battle!

    ReplyDelete