Friday, May 13, 2016

2nd Chemo Down, 6 To Go

This week I had my second chemo treatment.  This time Mom came with me and met the wonderful nurses from MGH-West.  This infusion was a little more difficult because they can't use the same vein since the chemo ruins it, and the vein we thought we could use burned with the pre-meds so we had to go for a second vein.  My veins are small and deep so the nurses recommended me for a port.  I will have the port installed next week sometime, can't say I'm much looking forward to that.

Otherwise the second treatment was less eventful than the first.  I feel much less foggy this time around than the first treatment.  I'm also less anemic and light headed, wonder if that was from the instant period I had on the first treatment.  I've been sleeping wonderful, better than since I had two kids, but of course with a lot of help from the hubby and Grandma Reggie watching Parker while he's been sick with the flu.  And Grandpa Bob and Grammie Terry watching Brady at their house. We had to take precautions so I didn't catch the flu too.

Work keeps me busy, especially with the politics working with Pratt & Whitney and a customer review next week.  I wish I had more time for some level of exercise, I feel like I'm turning into a big ball of mush.

It has been tremendous to see all the outpouring of support I've received from since my diagnosis.  I've received numerous flowers, cards, bulbs, well wishes, and care packages.  It's also been very sweet to have some of my dear friends randomly check on me.

My hair is starting to fall out in the shower and I expect by the end of this weekend I will be sporting my new aerodynamic look.  I did buy a couple of "chemo caps" but have not yet gone for my wig, maybe tomorrow.  I've always loved having my long hair, but it has been fun (and easy) sporting the short brunette look.

There are many silver linings in this process for me - I get to stay home and not travel, P&W is having to take more responsibility in their project, I get to see my family even more, and it's been a good perspective changer.  Many things in life have come easy for me, and I haven't had to work extremely hard with the exception of recent job experiences and raising my kids.  This experience is allowing me to rely on others, take breaks for myself, and focus on the most important aspects of my life - my wonderful family.  Gary and I may have put some of life's plans on hold, but you can be sure when the time is right it won't be a hard decision for us.

Thanks for all the well wishes and positive vibes - keep them coming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment