Monday, June 6, 2016

3rd Chemo Side Effects - The Horrible Cough

Following my third AC chemo treatment I had horrible side effects.  By the weekend after the treatment I was having coughing fits, difficultly breathing, and rattling in my lungs.  The worst of it would come in the middle of the night and right after waking in the morning.  It was followed by a heat flash.  The only way I could settle these cough fits was to get through them and put ice on my back or chest.  In addition I had severe throat pain and laryngitis.  It was so sore and miserable that I could only drink my meals.  I survived on protein shakes, applesauce, pudding, and very mushy mashed potatoes.  And I could barely work because I could barely talk,  I was miserable.  I wondered if they could just knock me out for a week and hook me to a feeding tube.  Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Mom and Gary forced me to go see my PCP.  She still wanted to treat me for allergies so I got a prescription cough suppressant and Mucinex.  After sharing this with my oncologist he gave me a prescription for Prilosec an antacid as he's thinking it's the chemo affecting acid reflux and causing the terrible burning in my throat and leading to my other symptoms.

After a week of misery, by the second weekend after my treatment, I was feeling more normal, able to eat solid food again, and with enough energy to be able to put my kids down for bed.  Just in time for chemo treatment #4 (last AC).

It was this week I also got the terrible news that my counterpart at Pratt & Whitney, Eric Meyer, had been taken in to hospice care after finding another tumor in his brain after which he sent a note to his leadership resigning from his position.  Eric died within a week after suffering liver and kidney failure.  I wrote him a personal note for his sister to read to him at his bedside, but don't know if it made it in time.  His perspective on our companies, after working together for decades, and his dry humor will be missed.  Rest in peace my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment