Thursday, April 28, 2016

1st Chemo Treatment (Day 21)

4/28/16

Today I received my first chemo treatment.  The day started with a visit to labs to check my blood levels (all good) then a visit to see Dr Peppercorn and talk through the procedure.  He examined the swelling in my left armpit which he thought was related to the swollen lymph nodes and blocking the body's ability to drain.  Then I went for chemo.  First I got a saline IV to make sure I had fluids.  Then took two anti-nausea pills and got an anti-nausea injection in the IV, and a third anti-nausea IV bag.  Now for the good stuff.  The first was an injection into the IV of the "A" part of chemo, or what I called the red dragon.  It has to be slowly injected by the nurse over 15 minutes.  She had to wear a smock and gloves, and dosing had to be confirmed with a second nurse, this stuff is toxic.  Same for "C" which dripped from a bag for 1 hr.  After that I was done and free to go.

The most pain I felt was the nurse trying to locate and inject the IV deep into a vein in my right wrist (can't see the vein from the skin).  After the infusion I felt drugged, like when you first wake up from surgery or come out of a deep sleep.  I feel a little fatigue and slight nausea which I'm managing by keeping something light in my stomach (first trimester pregnancy), and my legs and arms feel heavy.  I'm also finding that when I type my wrists go numb.  And occasionally I have what'd I'd describe as occasional "pulls" in the muscles in my shoulders.  Weird.

Short entry tonight so I can go get some sleep.  Unfortunately not sure I'll actually feel any better in the morning, we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment