Tuesday, October 4, 2016

4 Days Post-Op - Healing

The last couple days have been a bit of a rollercoaster.  Got home from the hospital Saturday, felt great Saturday and Sunday.  Monday I weened myself off the Oxycodone and was miserable.  Had a headache, achy, woozy, and no strength.  Almost felt like coming down with the flu but with no fever.  Had no visible sign of infection around my bandages.  After talking with ladies on my BC blog and my nurse neighbor went back on the Oxycodone which gave me relief.  I slept well last night, only waking for ~1 hr, and slept in until 9:30am (~10 hrs total, felt great).  Looks like I'm not quite ready to ween off the meds yet.  Today I got Mom and Gary out for a couple laps around the cul-de-sac and my nurse neighbor came by for visit.  My neighbors are planning a couple nights of meals this weekend, very sweet of them!

This evening I developed a low grade fever at 99.6 deg.  This isn't high enough to warrant an ER visit (would have to be 100.5 deg), so will continue to monitor this and hope it's just how my body is healing.  The feeling of pressure on my chest has turned to a feeling of rocks under my bra.  Not pleasant.  To help with some of the discomfort we took out the large gauze rolls from under my arms.  Big relief!  If I sleep well again tonight I will try for a shower tomorrow.  The drains are starting to subside, now down to 35-45 mL per day each.  Once they get down to 20-30 mL for two days in a row I can have them removed.  May get there by Friday or Monday next week.  Having the drains out will help alleviate some of the feeling of "rocks" in my chest as well.

Hurricane Matthew is making his way through the Caribbean and is expected to hit the northeast by Saturday or Sunday.  I'm going to try to convince Gary to go leaf peeping Thursday or Friday if I'm feeling up to it.  Missed the foliage big time living in Texas all those years.  I figure if I can lay in bed watching TV, I should be able to sit in a car and look at leaves!

Speaking of laying in bed, there are way too many choices on TV to watch.  Tried Dancing with the Stars tonight but couldn't follow it, too much back and forth in time.  Watched some of the Voice but was too much bickering.  Tonight is the VP debate and AL wild card game, think I'll be watching the latter.  This is also the week Tom Brady returns to the Patriots after the "deflate-gate" soap opera created by the NFL.  Also started Orange is the new Black netflix series, will see if I can get into that.  And of course Lucifer is back and the Ranch starts Oct 7th.  Looks like I'll have some good TV to watch and get me through my 4-6 weeks of leave!

Still waiting on the surgical pathology report, should only be another 3-6 days!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzy - -

    Tom Hoffman and I have always stayed in touch, and knowing I'd want to know, he contacted me as soon as he heard about your illness this past spring. I decided to wait for more news before dropping you a note, but Tom keeps telling me that news of your medical status has been pretty much non-existant at Lockheed. So finally I turned to the internet about ten days ago and easily found this blog, which filled me in on what you've been through since April.

    Suzy, you're my friend, and you were there for me when I needed a friend. But NOW it's my turn to return that friendship and concern. Because I believe strongly in the power of prayer, I've been praying for you since April and will continue praying for you and Gary and your boys in the future. I'm looking forward to the day when you can call to tell me that you're done with all the treatments, your hair has grown back, and you're CANCER FREE!!

    Wishing God's healing and blessings to you and your family,

    Brad Bradfield
    972-965-3195 (C)
    brad@crouchline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, great hearing from you, thank you so much for the prayers they worked, got the great news today that all the tumors have been removed and I am now cancer free!

    Hope you and your family are doing well, send my best to Happy.

    ReplyDelete