Thursday, October 27, 2016

Radiation Mapping Session

Today I had my radiation mapping session.  Overall it took about 1.5 hours.  First we met with the nurse and went over the skin care recommendations while we waited for the doctor.  She gave me an aloe vera gel to apply 2x/day during radiation.  They also have a 24hr hotline should something strange arise and I need to talk to a nurse (sudden blistering, lung or heart problems, etc).  Then I met with the radiation oncologist.  He has seen the path report and given the residual disease, the thin margins, and my age he agreed with taking Xeloda chemo during radiation.  He also got a second opinion from a colleague of his in Boston who had the same recommendation.  In the past he has had a few patients on Xeloda while in radiation.  If the toxicity to the skin becomes too much they will stop me on the Xeloda.  I really am going to be frankenstein when this is all over.  After we reviewed the side effects, skin irritation and fatigue being the primary, I signed the consent and went in to be mapped.  Two nurses prepped me on the bed with my arms over my head, put marking tape on me, and had me take a deep breath and hold it while they took a CT image.  Once they were happy with the setup and images they gave me 3 tattoos - one in the middle of my chest, one above my breast, and one under my arm.  The tattoos look like pinheads and felt like a minor sting.  Then I got my schedule - I officially start on 11/9 and more importantly finish on 12/20 just in time for the holidays!  I've been told the skin irritation peaks 1-2 weeks after completing radiation so maybe I'll be giving happy new years high fives instead of hugs.  Either way I'm excited to be getting into this 3rd phase of treatment and go into 2017 with the majority of this mess behind me.

As an aside, the last three nights I have managed to sleep through the night with the help of Tylenol and Ativan.  Thank goodness, it only took 3.5 weeks post-op to get a good nights sleep!

Never Thought I'd Be Here

The Familiar Uniform

Mail Order Chemo

No comments:

Post a Comment