Got a voicemail from my surgeon saying the path report came back and my margins are clear - I am now cancer free! Holy cow, how long I have been waiting for this day! She left the message last week, but it was only tonight that we got a chance to discuss it and she confirmed it was clear all around. She confirmed the mastectomy was the right choice for surgery as tumor cells were spread throughout the tissue and another lumpectomy would have been unsuccessful. She also confirmed the right side was clear, no tumors. Even with that information I'm comfortable with my choice, no second guessing and no waiting for it to reoccur. I mentioned to her the itchiness I have at night that's making it difficult to sleep. She thinks that's a side effect of the antibiotic that I just finished, and to take a Benadryl until it clears. Also talked to her about the area with pinching after I had reached for a wash cloth, she thinks that will clear in the coming weeks as the site heals if not then by PT. Dr Gadd asked that I stop by to see her when I'm finished with Dr Winograd at my follow up next week. She also recommended I ask him about starting radiation in 3 weeks (6 weeks post op) to get started on that phase of treatment.
I thanked her, on behalf of me and my family, for taking good care of me in surgery and seeing to it that all the cancer was removed. Here's hoping I'm on the downhill stretch!
Suzy - - That is indeed great news!! Please keep us updated on your blog. Happy says hi. Brad
ReplyDeleteThanks Brad!
ReplyDelete