Monday, July 11, 2016

Radiation Plan Ahead

Today I met with the radiation oncologist at Emerson Hospital in Concord MA to discuss the radiation treatment plan.  Emerson is ~25min from the house and I will no longer have to fight I-95 traffic. While it was good to see their facilities and meet the doctor, it did seem a bit early because we don't have the surgical results yet to put the final radiation treatment plan or schedule in place.  Regardless, assuming I am able to stay on track for a lumpectomy (official name is breast conserving surgery), I would have my simulation mapping and tattooing the area for radiation ~3 weeks after surgery and start radiation ~4 weeks after surgery.  The regiment is 33 treatments (~5000 rads), 28 to administer to the breast / lymph nodes and 5 for a boost to the lymph nodes around my left clavicle (collar bone).  Assuming I have surgery mid to late Aug, I would start radiation mid to late Sept running for 6.5 weeks until early/mid Nov.  Radiation side effects are sunburn, fatigue, and some irritation/pain should the lung/heart/chest muscle get inadvertent radiation or heat from the radiation.  I will have to go to Emerson every weekday for 10-15 min of radiation.  When you receive radiation you lie on your back with your arms overhead and the machine whirls around you per the mapping instructions.  According to the doctor, and from what I've read, the fatigue with radiation builds over time culminating around 3 weeks.  While annoying they say it's not as bad as chemo.  The doctor thought given how well I am feeling on T chemo that I should feel the same in radiation.

Tonight I read the journal of a friend of a relative blogging her breast cancer journey.  The early entries brought back memories - the day I was diagnosed, the biopsy, the first chemo and subsequent side effects.  But her surgical experiences were not without issues and it reminded me that while I am feeling well now not to take anything for granted and be prepared for when things do go wrong.  I will be sure to ask my surgeon a lot of questions so I am prepared for bad or good news.  Am also hoping that the pop up "lump" in my right breast which seems to have disappeared does not pose any new issues that need to be considered for surgery.

The friend also said in her journal, and I have found true in my journey, that cancer does not affect just the one person but all those around her in this process.  I am forever grateful to my family and friends for stepping in to help us get through these difficult times!

No comments:

Post a Comment