Treatments 21 through 28 were very long and painful but I made it, I'm done! And just in time for the holidays. The skin under my arm is bright red and peeling, the rest is brown and started peeling too. Can definitely see the outline of the treatment area now. For my last day I took the radiation technicians a grab bag of assorted makeup products as a Christmas present. They gave me a completion certificate and I got to ring the bell "done!". The staff at Emerson Hospital was fantastic throughout this whole process, very welcoming and accommodating. I enjoyed the time with the other patients completing puzzles but by the end I was the only one left. This is also the last day I will take the Xeloda chemo pill until my follow up with Dr Peppercorn in January when I have to increase the dosage. For now I will enjoy the holidays with my family, heal and recover, and get ready for ski season. Gary was sweet, he got me a lotus necklace to mark my completion, a symbol of rebirth.
Here's to putting 2016 in the rear view mirror and moving forward into 2017!
Hi Suzy - - It looks like I may be having some surgery to help my Parkinson's tremors, which are getting quite severe. Surgery is called Deep Brain Stimulation. They implant small electrodes on the surface of your brain and place a small pacemaker like controller under your collarbone. The goal is to bring the tremors under control so they can greatly reduce the amount of meds you're taking, and the side effects that go with them. I go to the Univ of Colorado hospital in Denver on Jan 30th for three days of testing to make sure that I am a valid candidate before scheduling the surgery. Surgery is 4 - 6 hours of drilling holes in your scull and probing around on your brain while you're awake the whole time!!
ReplyDeleteKeep fighting there my friend!!
Brad
972-965-3195
brad@crouchline.com
Brad, sorry to hear your tremors are getting worse. I hope the testing and surgery go well to give you some relief. Please keep me posted on how you are doing and I will be sending prayers your way!
ReplyDelete