Friday, November 18, 2016

1.5 Weeks Into Radiation - 1/3 Way Done

8 down, 20 to go!  That puts me at just about 1/3 of the way through.  It's a pretty easy drive down and back to Emerson hospital in Concord MA.  And it's a nice break from the work day.  Mom and I chat in the car and sometimes we eat out for lunch on our way back.  The treatments have gone smoothly.  Once a week I meet with the doctor so he can look at my skin and discuss how things are going.  They also take images once a week to verify the treatment area matches the initial mapping.  As for me, my shoulder feels a little tight, the skin is starting to get red, and it feels tighter every treatment.  I'm going to start adding more stretching or yoga to my weekly routine to try to keep things loose.  I'm also religious about applying the skin gel 2x/day.  I do feel more tired, very much so after a glass of wine, I'm guessing this is due to the chemo pill.  I'm also super thirsty all the time.  There's so much to keep up with in this process - 2x/day gel, 2x/day pill, daily PT, and treatment.  No treatment or pills on weekends, and once I get to 2 weeks I stop taking the chemo pill for a week.  Think I need to get myself one of those dry erase calendars for the fridge to keep up with all this!

Mom flew back to Florida today.  She has been there every step of the way helping me get through each phase of treatment.  She's seen the best and worst of times, and has always encouraged me to stay positive and take it easy on myself.  If that wasn't enough she regularly made us dinner and kept my house spotless, no easy feat with little boys and pets.  Brady cried his eyes out as we drove away from the airport telling me to turn around cause he could "still see Grandma's hair."  She has done so much for us, she will truly be missed, but I'm sure Jeff will be happy to have her back!

1 comment: