Thursday, June 9, 2016

Final AC Chemo

It was with mixed feelings that I went for my 4th and final AC chemo treatment.  While I was happy it would be the last AC, the memory of the horrible sides affects was still fresh in my mind.  I had a new nurse for this treatment and she had a slightly different work flow which made me a little more nervous.  I found I couldn't even look at the AC when they were pumping it into me, like my body was fighting a nervous reaction like you do when you get a needle.  The night after my chemo felt like the first night - the extraterrestrial feeling, that a foreign body is inside you.  I got all shaky and twitchy and a little nauseous and it was difficult to go to sleep.  But by morning I felt more my normal self and was able to work a full day.  I am starting to develop the rattly cough again but am trying to stay up on my meds.

When I saw my oncologist the day of chemo he looked in my throat and could see signs of healing.  I'm expected to have the same horrible side affects again next week so he prescribed me oxycodone (pain killer) and told me I could double up on the Prilosec.  Can't wait.  Like the third chemo he said I was slightly anemic and if I was continuing AC I'd need a blood transfusion.

I will be switching to a new chemo drug called Taxol for my next visit which the oncologist, nurses, and cancer survivors all say is easier on the body.  For that my blood levels should rise and the throat / breathing issues go away but will be replaced by tingling in my finger tips and toes.  Think I can live with that.

The LM leave of absence policy is horrible.  Two years ago when Gary was on intermittent leave after I had Parker by c-section you entered what time you had to take when you took it and had up to 12 weeks in a calendar year.  Now, you have to call in your time by midnight every night you use it, and you have to enter it on your time sheet.  If you by chance make up the time later in the week you have to call back and adjust your time sheet.  And if you forget to call because you'd feeling chemo'd out and miserable you have to call back and beg to get the time.  I'm also only approved for 1 day every two weeks - craziness!  How can I schedule when I'm going to be miserable from side effects?  It is definitely not a policy to benefit the employee but rather the big corporation.  I am having to use a lot of vacation to cover this and I know I still have a long road ahead.

Despite the miserable side affects and the lame LoA policy, I try to keep my hopes and spirits up through all the well wishes I get from everyone - cards, flowers, texts, emails, visitors, etc.  I get a lot of support from Gary and Mom always making sure I've taken my meds, that I'm getting food, that I'm feeling ok.  And the wonderful meals from Terry and Dad to help me with my nutritional needs.  And Mom does a great job keeping the house in order, no easy task with two little boy tornados.  In that sense I am very blessed to have my wonderful family and friends to help me get through this.  Thank you all!!!

Last AC Chemo

Mom's Encouragement

2 comments:

  1. You're amazing for being able to document this process. I truely hope you are over the hump! Keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shawn. Hope the 'hard part' is behind me too!

    ReplyDelete